Sunday, January 6, 2008

Wrestling?





Wrestling, yes, wrestling. Now, Basketball I know and I know well (because when my sons were younger they pinned a Michael Jordan poster up on my bedroom wall and told me that I couldn't take it down until I learned the rules and regs of basketball because if I insisted on being in the stands screaming at the refs when they played a game, it would be much better if I had an inkling of what I was screaming about - in other words, the "keys" in basketball have nothing to do with your car) But wrestling was a mystery to me. A friend of mine was shooting a tournament and wanted me to shoot it with him. OK.

Wow. i have to say I came out of this with a great respect for the sport. First of all, people's necks are not supposed to go in those directions and, quite frankly, I cannot believe that no one breaks their necks in almost every match. The other big thing that impressed me was the complete lack of anger in the opponents. There seems to be an amazing amount of respect and discipline - on many levels. So it was so fun for me - very different and very educational.

But, boy - howdy - if anyone COULD get my body in one of those positions, I swear it would take a full 8 weeks and likely the Jaws of Life to get me OUT of one of those positions.

Oh well.

No comments: